Thursday, December 2, 2010

David Harvey

  • Widely influential, he is among the top 20 most cited authors in the humanities  (according to Andrew Bodman).
  • World's most cited academic geographer (according to Andrew Bodman).  [How space is created, viewed and managed by humans as well as the influence humans have on the space they occupy.]
  • Most recently he has been credited with helping to bring back social class and Marxist methods as serious methodological tools in the critique of global capitalism, particularly in its neoliberal form. He is a leading proponent of the idea of The Right to the City. [Lefebvre summaries the ideas as a "demand...[for] a transformed and renewed access to urban life] (according to Andrew Bodman).
This looked interesting, so I decided to look into "The Right to the City" concept.  I found: 

David Harvey has recently defined The Right to the City as being about "far more than the individual liberty to access urban resources: it is a right to change ourselves by changing the city." He has also stressed that: "It is, moreover, a common rather than an individual right since this transformation inevitably depends upon the exercise of a collective power to reshape the processes of urbanization."
I don't know what I'm going to do with what I learned about David Harvey.  This doesn't help at all with my Slumdog Millionaire text analysis, and because he speaks another language than I do.  I realize he is speaking English, but I'm not talking an occasional turn to the dictionary, but concepts I'm only beginning to understand.  However, the youtube with the clever cartoons explaining as he spoke were fantastic!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment